The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Day Off Week 27 2023


This week's day off turned out rather differently to what was expected. I had intended to go up to Oxford to check out some Beddome material. I waited for the Oxford Tube at Baker Street for an hour but it turns out the coach only stops there in the evening so that was and hour wasted and the day gone. I was very disappointed but the test of a good man is how he copes with disappointments. Anyway, I did some reading. I came across David Robertson's book for young people SEEK the other day and so enjoyed it that I sent for the first one in the series ASK and am enjoying that too. The books answer questions posed to David by young people from round the wolrd. There is some repeptition but the contents are easy to read and as he recommends further reading for each question answered it is all very stimulating. The other book I read was Michael Toogood's autobiography Mission to Soho. I have an original self-published version somewhere but unable to locate it, I sent for another. I am keen to read it as I have agreed to preach at a memorial service for Micahel at the Swiss Church tomorrow. It starts at 11 am or so and is at the Swiss Church, Covent Garden. More here.

No comments: