The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day July 23 2023


I preached last Lord's Day in the morning on hell. I preached on it because it is the next thing in Luke 16. It was a good reminder of the benefits of systematic exposition. In the evening I preached for the first time ever on Zechariah 3:2 which shows that textual preaching is important too. There must be a hundred texts like this I have never touched. On Sunday morning I had the privilege of preaching to someone in church for the first time in his life - an overseas student with an interest in the gospel who lives in my street. One other thing, I was praying in the morning and inadvertently said "we are still in our sins" which means unbelieving when I meant simply to say we still sin. Easily made such slips. Just move on.

No comments: