The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Rugby 2024


The six nations is underway. I watched a bit of Ireland France and Italy England. Italy came so close! My father-in-law came over to watch the Welsh game (several relatives including my sister were there in the ground). It was certainly a game of two halves if there ever was one - embarrassing for forty minutes and then nail biting, skilful stuff that so nearly ended in victory for Wales. (I can't shake the niggling thought that one Welsh player giving away a penalty with a silly prank cost us the game but it is not that simple).
At the game they paid tribute to Welsh players who have died in the last year. The one that meant most to us all was JPR Williams who died last month. And then yesterday they announced that Barry John had died. Another immense figure in Welsh rugby.

No comments: