These are unusual days as I preach my final sermons in Childs Hill. Yesterday, I preached in the morning a fresh sermon on Song of Songs 2:4 and then in the evening a refreshed one on I John 4:16. The family were all in Aber where I plan to join them and others were away too so the morning congregation was not large and by the evening we were down to seven. We had three Iranian visitors (just people staying in the area), an Iranian new to the area who has been in the UK over 15 years, other regular Iranians (about three of them, could have been a lot more), a late arriving Iranian who we have met before plu our refugee friends, a visiting grandparent, Marissa from KL who came last week and Corneille from Benin (they both kneeled to pray before we started - unusual).
The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.
Lord's Day August 9 2026
These are unusual days as I preach my final sermons in Childs Hill. Yesterday, I preached in the morning a fresh sermon on Song of Songs 2:4 and then in the evening a refreshed one on I John 4:16. The family were all in Aber where I plan to join them and others were away too so the morning congregation was not large and by the evening we were down to seven. We had three Iranian visitors (just people staying in the area), an Iranian new to the area who has been in the UK over 15 years, other regular Iranians (about three of them, could have been a lot more), a late arriving Iranian who we have met before plu our refugee friends, a visiting grandparent, Marissa from KL who came last week and Corneille from Benin (they both kneeled to pray before we started - unusual).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment