The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Cyngerdd Nadolig

It was my younger kids' school concert yesterday, cyngerdd nadolig, down at the Ysgol Gymraeg Llundain in Stonebridge Park near Harlesden. It's a small school so everyone takes part. Eleri coaxed an 'I orwedd mewn preseb' (Away in a manger) out of the little ones then the older ones got going on 'Y Ffactor 'X''.
Our older boy held it all together as compere, dealing with the judges (Y beirniaid) - some unintended humour there as he was determined to refer to them as Louie, Seemon and Sha-ronn (as in the Israeli leader). Our younger son was part of one of the four the singing groups - Yr anrhegion (presents) and delivered his one spoken line well.
My Welsh is not great so I really enjoyed this production with each group singing a song (translations of English songs such as Ffrosti Y Dyn Eira, the Slade hit plus a striking version of Firestarter [if you don't know it you don't want to know it] performed by Christmas crackers or Cracodorion) and the judges then repeating much the same lines after each one (Ardderchog, arbennig, da iawn/lovely/and Seemon usually moaning).
It's the 13th one of these I've attended I guess. I thought it one of the best ever. It was ardderchog, arbennig, da iawn ....

No comments: