The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Christian Book Titles

Michael Griffiths had two books at one time Cinderella with amnesia and Shaking the sleeping Beauty. I remember hearing him say a family joke was that the next should be called Rapunzel with alopecia. There were other suggestions but I've forgotten these.
When someone comes up with a good title it's tempting to have some fun. I notice that John Blanchard's Gathered Gold volumes of quotations are being republished. (There were two Gathered Gold volumes and a Sifted Silver). I've been waiting for Platinum Platitudes to come out for years.
Gary Gilley has both the helpful little book This little church went to market and now This little church stayed home. One wonders when This little church had roast beef will appear and ultimately (we all know churches like this) This little church went wee wee all the way home. Having just checked on the net I find people are ahead of me. See the PS here

No comments: