The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Alan Ball


When I was in school I was a real soccer fan. We had an influential boy in the class whose favourite team was Everton and whose favourite player was the World Cup final star Alan Ball. He even got us to form an Alan Ball Fan Club. I used to have a football programme with Alan Ball and his father (also Alan Ball and a minor player himself) playing chess against each other on the cover. A footnote said there was a big argument over who was to be winning at the time in the shot. I've never been competitive myself but there is something attractive about it and the late Alan Ball had it in heaps. It is surprising reading the obituaries to see how little success he knew after the glory of 1966 when he was 21. The race is not to the swift.
The clip shows Bobby Charlton (another hero of the time for me) speaking about Ball.

No comments: