The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Al Mohler

An interesting conversation has been developing here. It started off quite superfically but then took a serious turn when one contributor expressed real doubts about the credibility of Al Mohler as a card carrying Calvinist. I've met Al Mohler. I'm not sure what to make of it all.

4 comments:

Gary Benfold said...

So why aren't you sure what to make of this, Gary? You’ve met Mohler; you've heard him. You know what stand he makes today; you know we were all unconverted once. We know that good men, whose judgement we would trust, have a high regard for Mohler. We know that one man - whom neither of us know but who admits to disliking Calvinism anyway - has admitted to a personal dislike of Mohler and said 'you'll never convince me...' No case to answer, I think.

Gary Brady said...

My thought was only that may be I'd missed some big controversy going on out there. Clearly not.

Alan said...

Yes, I don't think there's anything going on..

After all, still, I think, if you want power in the Southern Baptist Convention, then espousing Calvinism is the SLOW, SLOW road!

And we have heard what AM has had to go through at the seminary, too.

Guy Davies said...

I feel a bit bad that the rather harsh comments re Mohler appeared on my blog. I don't know a lot about the chap, but I have no reason to believe that he's anything other than genuine.

Gary asked Michael Westmoreland-White to clarify his remarks re AM's integrity and I e-mailed WM-W asking him to do so. Having done that, I couldn't really censor what he said.

I have nothing at all against AM and I disassociate myself from MW-W's somewhat uncharitable remarks.