The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Bradford on Avon

Owing to a little bit of disorganisation on my part I was preaching away from home again yesterday, this time in the Old Baptist Chapel in Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire. Owing chiefly to family connections I have preached there two or three times before and so we know some in the congregation a little. Two of my boys stayed, while we were there, with a family in the church whose son they have got to know. The pastor is Paul Oliver, who was away preaching in Bedford. Retired pastors Robert Oliver and John Alsop are also still in the church as are others who regularly preach. Mark Hope works as an evangelist.
Predominantly white and middle class (reflecting the area) the people are very serious and prayerful and keen to reach out to the surrounding area. About a hundred gathered in the morning and something like 60-70 in the evening. The day began with Sunday School, including an adult Bible Class (a fine study on the opening verses of Colossians by one of the members), followed by a prayer meeting. Two members prayed with me further before I preached from Mark 12:1-12.
After a pleasant afternoon with my sister-in-law Catrin and her husband Ian Alsop at their home just outside Bradford (in Trowbridge) we headed off for the evening prayer meeting and preaching service. I preached this time on Ezekiel 18.

No comments: