The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Menorca Hoodies


I'll explain why again but I spent Good Friday on the lovely Mediterranean Island of Menorca, in Mao. Most things were closed, understandably, but in a church we spotted these hooded figures before they headed out in procession. Traditionally, these were penitents who wished to remain anonymous. They would also beat themselves or carry heavy crosses on their backs, pleading for forgiveness from God. Today it is part of the traditional Easter Week processions in many parts of Spain and Italy. I wonder if there is any evangelical witness in Mao.

No comments: