The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Things Seen 03

It was a Thursday night. It was dark. I had been for a run in the park. As I headed home along the London street where I live, I saw light in several windows. One upstairs window has these smart metal venetian blinds. The electric light was on and the blinds were open.
At the moment I glanced up I saw a man looking at a computer screen. A woman was leaning her chin on his right shoulder so that she could see whatever it was that was of interest. The woman was clearly his wife or girl friend. I have no idea what they were observing. Were they planning a holiday together or looking at an e-mail from a friend? Perhaps they have a common interest in a certain website or he had found something funny or interesting to show her. Maybe she was just curious to know what he was looking at or was subtly suggesting that there are more interesting things than a computer screen.
This is a modern image of love and it has its own power. Many things change but some, like companionship and love, remain constant, if only we are willing to see it.

No comments: