The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Christmas Day 2015

It was a good day yesterday. We were up at a reasonable hour to open some presents and seemed to spend much of the rest of the day on similar projects. I've had some lovely books. I snapped two of the boys at some point busy with their colouring books. We were glad on the whole that our second grandson decided not to appear. We've got that to look forward to.
At church we had a surprisingly good turn out. Besides returning students and other visitors a Tanzanian family paid us a visit. I preached from 1 John 1:1-3 on the incarnation. It's not a traditional Christmas text but it's bang on the subject. Back here it was food and chocolate and games until about eight. We then wound down - the boys on the PS-4 and Eleri and I watching a very pleasant (but believable) Downton finale. I also read a bit more of Trollope's Christmas day at Kirby Cottage finished this morning. It was gone midnight before we headed for bed.

No comments: