The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day December 6 2015

And so we're in the last month of the year already. We began with communion as we do each month. In the morning I preached from Revelation 6 - the six seals, including the famous four horsemen of the Apocalypse. I have preached this before and followed Hendriksen's argument that the white horse is Christ's horse but this time around I was persuaded by Greg Beale that it represents what is often a malevolent power  - conquest. We had a good congregation including some 11 Nigerians we know but who are not always with us. They all decided without collusion to turn up at once for some reason. I hope the sermon was helpful to everyone. It was 13 minutes longer than the one on Revelation 5. In the evening I was eager not to make it too difficult for people so I preached on the them Better than Christmas .... from Ecclesiastes 7. Both sermons are already up online I see on this page here.

No comments: