The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Early October





Lunching with good friends,
The October sun shines down.
Paul's Greek, it's profound.

Lovely sunshine today. I went to West Hampstead for a bachelor lunch with one of my deacons and three other friends. He's getting married on Saturday.
I then went on to Finchley for some Greek studies at LTS. The class has mushroomed to eight which changed the dynamics, but it was good. Home via Golders Green with my camera. Church members meeting tonight.

3 comments:

Family Blogs said...

Hi Gary,
What are you using in your NT Greek studies by way of textbook? I'm studying it this year as part of my Peru preparations, and am finding it a challenge but also highly rewarding.
God bless,
Andrew

Gary Brady said...

The course seeks to get to grips with the tect itself but the LTS textbook is Jeremy Duff's Elements (the successor to Wenham). PS I saw the Greek verse a day on your blog and stole the idea. Is there a Hebrew one somehwere?

Family Blogs said...

Hi again!
We're using Duff as well and I'm finding it really good to work through. We're on datives and genitives at the moment and it feels as though my head is going to unravel from time to time - definitely worth it though.

On the Hebrew front I couldn't find anything comparable, but have put a little search box on of the Hebrew Bible which directs you to the text you are looking for. Not quite as neat and tidy, but worthwhile anyway. You can generate the code at http://www.mybibletools.com/script_generator_tools.php3