The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Last Weekend 03



After the trustees meeting under the chairmanship of Geoff Gobbett, it was time for tea. Always a lovely spread.
Several of the rest of the family joined me at this point. My two eldest sons were at the house of one of the deacons for an evangelistic event for older young people. I think about 30 came altogether, which is really great.
Back in Covent Garden between 40 and 50 gathered for the meeting to follow which I lead. Veteran evangelist John Blanchard preached on Romans 1:16. In passing he mentioned that it was my father-in-law Geoff Thomas who suggested to him leaving off the word 'the' in his Ultimate Questions. Their little joke is that it's Geoff's advice that has made it the huge seller it has been. Less is more, eh? (More on John Blanchard here).
Eleri enjoys being in Central London as it's a rare treat. We walked to Piccadilly Circus and caught the Number 13 home.

No comments: