The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Brian Clough

So another football book finished. This time on Brian Clough the football manager, chiefly with Derby then Nottingham Forest. The book is full of expletives (that was Clough's style) and some will avoid it for that reason. If you know about Clough at all, however, it is a well written summary of those glory years from someone who had countless interviews with him and knew him well over a long period. Clearly a flawed character, Clough was also a genius in his own chosen area of expertise. As a Christian pastor, it was hard not to draw vague but interesting parallels between football management and the pastorate. From that standpoint the book is full of warnings, I guess.
Otherwise it is an interesting whole life story of a great man with many faults, keen to be liked but no compromiser, a man who had a way with words (as the collection below shows).

"If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there." On the importance of passing to feet.
"I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one." Looking back at his success.
"Rome wasn't built in a day. But I wasn't on that particular job." On getting things done.
"On occasions I have been big headed. I think most people are when they get in the limelight. I call myself Big Head just to remind myself not to be." Old Big 'Ead explains his nickname.
"The ugliest player I ever signed was Kenny Burns." A Clough complement for a talented player.
"Stand up straight, get your shoulders back and get your hair cut." Advice for John McGovern at Hartlepool.
"Take your hands out of your pockets." More advice, this time for a young Trevor Francis as he receives an award from the Master Manager.
"I only ever hit Roy the once. He got up so I couldn't have hit him very hard." On dealing with Roy Keane.
"Walk on water? I know most people out there will be saying that instead of walking on it, I should have taken more of it with my drinks. They are absolutely right." Reflecting on his drink problem.
"Don't send me flowers when I'm dead. If you like me, send them while I'm alive." After the operation which saved his life.
"We talk about it for twenty minutes and then we decide I was right." On dealing with a player who disagrees.
"I'm sure the England selectors thought if they took me on and gave me the job, I'd want to run the show. They were shrewd, because that's exactly what I would have done." On not getting the England manager's job.
"You don't want roast beef and Yorkshire every night and twice on Sunday." On too much football on television.
"I'm not saying he's pale and thin, but the maid in our hotel room pulled back the sheets and remade the bed without realising he was still in it." Referring to former Forest player Brian Rice.
"I want no epitaphs of profound history and all that type of thing. I contributed - I would hope they would say that, and I would hope somebody liked me," On how he would like to be remembered.
More quotes at Brianclough.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The quotes are taken from the excellent website, brianclough.com, which spent many hours compiling them. The site helps to raise money for the Brian Clough Memorial Fund. Please give it a mention if you cut and paste quotes. Thanks!

Gary Brady said...

Well spotted! Trying to save myself some time. Thanks.