The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Presbyterianism made simple


Continuing to sort I just came across this chart of Presbyterian Family Connections. Non-presbyterians may find it confusing. Presbyterians may have some surprises. The document can be accessed here.

2 comments:

Paul Burgess said...

This is interesting in a sad kind of way. I was surprised to learn a few years back of the ARPs who organized before the RPCNA but it would seem according to the attached were united in 1782 only to schism in 1793! I suspect that some of these unions/schisms are not always recognised as the "faithful" would have withdrawn from "illegal" synods etc. What a mess!
I've become a much more ecumenical fellow these days I think. It is very easy to say that differences arise because of concern for truth etc. BUT the unity we have is because of the atoning work of Christ. Knowledge puffs, love builds up. Anything I have is because of the grace of God and not to be used to tear my brother down.

Gary Benfold said...

Many years ago we had Prof Douglas MacMillan staying with us. He was at the time Professor of Church History at the Free Church College, so it seemed an excellent opportunity to work out the details of Scottish Presbyterianism.

I was a lot more confused when he'd finished. SO glad I'm a Baptist.