The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

British Library Visit


I spent much of today in the British Library. I've not used the facility before but there was a book I wanted to read and I haven't been able to get hold of it anywhere else. It's only a little book so I was able to read and make notes in a few hours. It was a satisfying read - more on that some other time. I also like the atmosphere in those big libraries. You don't really get that hush in an ordinary common or garden library (I was in Humanities 1 if that means anything to anyone). It seems to make me more disciplined, that atmosphere.
To put the cherry on the cake I ended up sitting next to Sir Jonathan Miller (we both chose places at the same moment - no angling by me). Of interest, firstly because I knew who he was (unlike all the others I saw there) but I also liked the irony that here I am a Christian minister reading about a 19th Century Christian - how he was converted and how he served the Lord in part by arguing with rationalists, etc, next to a man (he appeared to be reading about modern art) who is a notorious atheist. I wanted to point out the irony but resisted. (It also took a bit of self-control when he wandered off not to take his pencil and write inside his notebook There is a God or God is great or Eternity - those were the three alternatives I considered). Perhaps he'll read this or someone will point it out and he'll see how restrained we Christians are.

1 comment:

Paul Burgess said...

I used the library once when I was a student to check references in a 1950s University of Utah engineering journal. I was writing a paper dissing certain radiometric dating techniques.
Yes the whole place has a very scholarly feel.
What a coincidence! That's one of the nice things about London. You do see famous people out and about just like anyone else. I think this may be a reason I never got excited be celebs.