The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day August 2 2020


Once again there was an increase in numbers as we met in the chapel for the third time since the return. We are now up to about 20 with only a few zoomers. it was a particular joy to meet for the first time a lady who we had previously only met on line. I preached another one off- on Matthew 4:10. We still can't sing - we just begin an end with a recorded hymn, courtesy of EMW. (I actually messed up there as I had provided the words of Edwin Hatch's 
Breathe on me, breath of God: for the zoomers but we actually sang Bessie Porter Head's O breath of life come sweeping through us).
In the evening it was zoom again. I preached Joshua 9 on the Gibeonite deception. In the afternoon we again had people around and it was good to talk. It was the last day before our friends Euardo and Anna Marzia flew to Brazil to begin work with the church in Guaruja. We miss them already.

No comments: