The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day September 27 2020


How do you assess the success of a sermon? It is difficult. If you preach on giving and someone gives you a gift, is that success? May be may be not. I preached on giving because we are working our way through 2 Corinthians and have come to Chapter 8. We'll be there again next week. This was the morning and we had a good turn out, around 30, but I wish we were more. A few others joined on zoom. We did have some mic problems early on but I think we're there. 
In the evening it was just zoom. We had a good number again and a nice chat afterwards. We are looking at Joshua but the material is so similar to what we are doing midweek from 1 Chronicles that I decided to take a short detour into that wonderful chapter Isaiah 55, just looking at verse 1 this time.

No comments: