The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day October 18 2020




Sunday was one of those red letter days that come from time to time. We had our first baptism in a while. This was someone who git in touch with us during the lockdown and despite the difficulties has come to a real faith in Christ even though having a background where Christian faith is actively discouraged. This is the second person with that sort of background to join us, which is encouraging. Of course, the logistics were slightly difficult but I donned rubber gloves, a facemask and visor and I don't think we transgressed any rules. I preached from Acts 8, somewhere I often turn when a baptism takes place. I prepared an entirely fresh sermon, which wrote itself and preached very easily. I hope it will have some impact. (It should be on the website soon). In the evening we zoomed again for the last message on Isaiah 55 (verses 7-13). We then did something I can't remember doing before but people were given opportunities to ask questions. We had a whole raft of good questions  - Why wouldn't Mordecai bow to Haman? What about Christian conspiracy theories? What is the difference between hope and faith? In what sense were Adam and Eve's eyes opened when they ate the fruit? Etc. Good questions I hope the answers were of some use.

1 comment:

Dave G said...

A baptism! And during lockdown! That's fantastic news. Must have been a great encouragement to you and your church.... and by sharing it you've encouraged others during gloomy days.... Thanks