The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day April 25 2021


As we came away from the chapel on Sunday morning my wife said to me "Did you forget something?". I thought for a while and came up with nothing. Then she said "The long prayer". Right. It all came back to me. We had started with prayer, of couirse, and a hymn (Immortal honours) and then I read from Isaiah 8, the next of our continuous readings. Then one of my deacons spoke to the children about William Tyndale. When I cam back to the front I should have read and prayed but I only read (two short readings from Hebrews 6 and Romans 8) and prayed briefly before the sermon. I preached the next on the short series on Faith, hope and love - on hope. After that I think we prayed and then we had our last hymn (My hope is built). So there was a good lot of prayer but not that long prayer where we really come to the Lord. I made sure I prayed a bit longer in the evening when we were only on zoom. (My problem there was that I think I re-read Revelation 4 as our consecutive reading). I preached on the next part of Luke 5, on making judgements. We also had our good friend from Johannesburg, Thapelo along reporting, and that was great.

No comments: