The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Murder by the Book


Detective fiction is a very enjoyable form of literature. It is pretty undemanding but the plot usually gets you thinking at least. I must have read my first such fiction as a boy when I would go along to the mobile library that used to park at the end of our steet once a week. I don't know what the books I read were but they may have included Agatha Christie I've read one or two of those. The British Library have a series up and running that I have dipped into. When we were in Ross-on-Wye recently there was a lovely bookshop there and I bought Murder by the book artly as a memento. The book contains mostly very good short stories, mainly by authros I have not heard of. I thought it might have had more literary themes but apart from one story that refers to Ella Wheeler Wilcox, who I wasn't sure was real (she is -see here) there was nothing like that. It was more books per se and writing them. I'll probably buy some more some day.

No comments: