The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Cinema Trips


I've been in the cinema twice recently. First I went to see Life of Pi in 3D on my own then I went to see Les Miserables with my wife.
I enjoyed the first but not the second (apart from the presence of my wife).
I began reading Life of Pi some years ago but abandoned it half way through not that gripped. The film was a much better experience. It's much more concise and brilliantly presented, the 3D only enhancing the experience. I liked the fact it is very different, thought provoking and positive. I ahve written a review which I hope will appear in ET next month.
As for the appropriately named Les Miserables, well that's another book I never finsihed for starters. It is again filmed well and is an amazing effort but it was mostly lost on me I'm afraid. We were so close to the imax screen that it hindered rather than helped and I'm not a fan of musicals anyway. After Anne Hathaway's demise I grew increasingly bored with this film and it took all my effort not to urge Jean Valjean to get on with it as hids final demise approached. I went in a very positive frame but just didn't get it. Everyone else was clearly moved by the sad bits and laughed at the funny bits (take it from me Sacha Baron Cohen was not funny and Helena B-C can't sing). Some even clapped at the end. At least I won't have to sit through the stageplay.

No comments: