The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Conferences, conferences

I have ended up attending two conferences in two weeks which has put some pressure on and I didn't really round off what I had to say about the Carey Conference last week. The numbers were down a little from last year but over a hundred were present (about 30 women I think). Hugh Collier who hosts with his wife Lois had to go home sick. I hope he's well again soon. Bill James was his usual efficient and enthusiastic self and a real asset. It was good to renew fellowship with Ed Collier, Steven and Gail Curry, Steve Ruegg and Steve Nowak from Stowmarket, etc, etc. We had an excellent question session on the second evening. Some 14 questions were asked but there is no time or space to describe what was covered. A highlight for me was to hear Mike Reeves defend the traditional view of the interpretation of Song of Solomon. Indeed Mike Reeves contributions were a highlight of the whole conference.

No comments: