The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day January 20 2013

A busy two days means I've not been able to report on last Sunday until now. I preached on 2 Peter in the morning, having looked at the first three verses on false teachers the week before. I began by remarking that if anyone was unsure whether we needed to be warned about false teachers they have only to consider what has been reported about Steve Chalke, a professedly Evangelical Baptist, saying that in certain cases homosexual relationships are perfectly biblical. It would be unfair to label Chalke a heretic quite at this point (even though he has already given cause for concern with his denial of penal substitutionary atonement) but one begins to wonder where this will all end. The morning message was a wide ranging but solemn one on judgement and salvation. In the evening I preached on secret sins, leaning heavily on the work of Puritan Obadiah Sedgwick, I trust, dealing with the people before me. Numbers were down rather, especially in the morning, as the older folk weren't out due to the snow on the ground. We hope to have baptisms next Sunday evening.

4 comments:

Jeff said...

I feel that the Bible is VERY clear about gay relationships Gary.Though I know that the Lord does not hate or despise any human who engages in them.God loves us all.I am sure that you agree. Jeff

Paul Burgess said...

I find that it is increasingly difficult to take a clear stand on homosexuality without detailed qualifiers. Perhaps this is good in that the homosexual is no more under the condemnation of the law than any other sinner and is offered the same offer of total forgiveness if he turns to Christ.

Gary Brady said...

Jeff, Paul
Thanks for responding both. I agree with you both. The Bibekl is VEry clear on gay relationships and indeed anything outside the marrige bed. God's love is there for all and the same offer of forgiveness. The one good thing in what Steve Chalke had to say was a reminder to love all. Our real battle is not chiefly with the tiny minority who say they are "gay" but with the hordes who don't want to be confined by the one man one woman rule that the Bible advocates.

MFH said...

Gary I thank you put this into perspective. - it is just another elationship sin.
This is another issue on which God is asking us the question do we love him and his law? Will be obey him rather than our culture? We should think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try us.
Steve Chalks view does not surprise me given his view of sin is very light, as shown by his contribution to the penal substitution debate.