The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Christmas CDs 07

Besides books this year (and clothes, etc) there were a few CDs. I bought the red and the blue albums by the Beatles with money from my dad. This is a completist thing I guess. (See here for a complete discography). I also had the George Harrison led Concert for Bangla Desh (the first benefit concert of its kind) from my sister-in-law, which I am enjoying. It includes Ravi Shankar, Billy Preston, Bob Dylan, etc, and is a fascinating recording. (There is a website here.)
I'm also planning to download tracks from my son's album by The Fray (more here) and one or two from a Cliff Richard Greatest Hits that Eleri bought (Out in the country and Wired for sound). While we were still in Aber my eldest and I went into Siop Y Pethe looking for Welsh Rare Beats. It turns out there are now two volumes so we had to shell out for both. It's basically a history of Welsh pop music (Tebot Peuce, Heather Jones, Edward H, etc) thankfully presented in a way that is accessible to the monoglot. Rhodri knows less than I do about it so we have enjoyed the sleeve notes (with appreciated references to Focus and Horslips) and the CDs too. (More here)

No comments: