The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Hymns Pantycelyn 07


This is number 24 (in Gloria in Exclesis)

Come, Jesus, haste, make no delay,
Conduct me in the narrow way,
That leads unto the Promis'd Land;
Be my Conductor and my Guide,
I'm weak, and prone to turn aside
From thy most holy pure command.

Ten thousand objects here are found
To tempt and tease me all around,
To steal my thoughts combin'd in one
Lord, show thyself; a glimpse of Thee
Excels all objects fair to me,
Thyself most beautiful alone.

How sweet are all things that are Thine,
Thy comforts are delicious wine;
Thou art the only God and Friend:
Thy absence is a horrid night,
Thy presence is a pure delight,
A blessed feast without an end.

Thy beauties in sweet order shine
With glorious lustre, all divine ;
Sweeter thy love than can be known;
My life, O Saviour, let me spend,
From the beginning to the end,
Gazing upon Thyself alone.

No comments: