The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Hymns Pantycelyn 02


This is the third hymn in HTTSOD headed Love unspeakable. (Above, the house where Pantycelyn lived. I once visited there with a friend and was kindly shown a lock of Pantycelyn's red hair by the couple living there).

The enormous load of human guilt
Was on my Saviour laid;
With woes, as with a garment, he
For sinners was array'd.

And in the horrid pangs of death
He wept. He pray'd for me,
Lov'd and embrac'd my guilty soul
When nailed to the tree.

О love amazing ! love beyond
The reach of human tongue;
Love which shall be the subject of
An everlasting song.

Eternity, though infinite,
Is short enough to trace
The virtues of his healing wounds,
The wonders of his grace.

Ye Men rejoice in Jesu's blood,
Ye angels, join your lays,
In one harmonious endless choir
Sing his eternal praise.

3 comments:

Jonathan Hunt said...

I'm sorry, but keeping locks of WWP's hair is just freaky.

The next thing you know they'll be selling tufts of Spurgeon's beard...

Gary Brady said...

It's freakier than that. The lock was cut when he was exhumed from his grave for some reason! As for Spurgeon, dare I mention wedding cake?

Jonathan Hunt said...

I don't know whether that exists any more? I know it did, in some kind of glass phial.

I also know that when CHS's tomb was repaired you could see the imprints of the palm leaves they laid in there. The key (which I have seen with my own eyes by virtue of being a 'deacon's kid') is in the safe (more of a room actually) at the Met Tab.

Anyway, at least wedding cake is not a bodily part...