The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Cy Leslie


I was reading The Times the other day and saw an obituary for a man called Cy Leslie who died earlier this month. The obituary is here. He was the man behind Pickwick's successful Top of the Pops series. The very first LP I ever bought was a record like that. It cost 75 p (you can see the 15/- mark on the record illustration). These LPs were covers of the hits of the day by unknown artists. The question was asked 'Can you tell the difference between these and the original sounds?' Well, you could, of course. Quite easily in some cases. They were alright, but I never bought another. Elton John is one who started out on that label (I will resist a cruel comment at this point). The Top of the Pops LPs are available on i-tunes and I was confused for a while as to what I had bought. Closer inspection reveals that what I had was a Hot Hits record from MFP (Music for Pleasure) a rival to the Pickwick idea. This was the first in a series of 20.

No comments: