The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Hymns Pantycelyn 03

This is number 6 and is headed The atonement. I have altered the word 'immerg'd' to 'immers'd' in line 1.

My soul thou art immers'd in Sin,
So deep that none can trace;
Look to the ransom God decreed
To clear the guilty race.

The Atonement made once on the Tree,
Can balance many more
Than all the Sins of Adam's race,
If number'd o'er and o'er.

He paid the mighty sum and died
For Sinners yet unborn;
From men, the works of his own hands,
He suffer'd shame and scorn.

Had I the guilt of all the world,
He's able to forgive:
Why should I fear? The Debt is paid
If only I believe.

1 comment:

Family Blogs said...

Mighty, mighty stuff...

I've just finished reading 'Pierced for Our Transgressions', and how apt are these words to all that the authors share. Wonderful...