The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Yng Ngwmbran

So for the last three days I've been here in Cwmbran. I caught an early bus from Victoria and arrived late morning in Newport where my sister picked me up. Since then we have been talking to the undertaker and to John Edmonds, the pastor at Pontrhydyrun where Gail is a member. I also went to the prayer meeting on Tuesday night, which John led so well. On the day my dad died a deacon's wife of the same age also died. Then on Tuesday the deacon himself also died. You can imagine how the thoughts of the church have been affected by all this. John has had some helpful things to say about my father's death including better evidence of saving faith. I'm really having to think through a few of my ideas.
It's been nice to get to know Gail's children better. They lead busy lives, active in sport, entertainments, friendships and study. Gail is similar. She was playing netball one night and at a works reunion another! It's been nice to see old Pontrhydyrun friends too there and out and about. I sat next to Mrs Garwood, the widow of my old pastor, at the prayer meeting. The 'phone is constantly ringing. People have sent cards too. So kind.
Meanwhile, we have been trying to clear my dad's old flat and deal with financial matters. So there have been trips to the Ty hafan charity shop, etc.

1 comment:

William Wilson said...

Hi Gary just to let you know that our prayers are with you and all the family at this time.