The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Let him give

This is quoted from a Gibert MacAdam prayer letter in the December Banner. I thought it was challenging and inspiring.

One Sunday morning I was waiting to begin the service when a particular family, who have recently started coming, arrived and took their seats. Their little boy of about 8 years of age then came over to me and put a plastic bag into my hands. It was extremely heavy and I said, ‘What’s this?’ He said, ‘I want to give my savings for the poor people who were flooded.’ In the bag was a large tin full of coins. Afterwards it took about 6 people to sort and count it. The total came to 1487 pesos (about £20/$32). It was obvious that he had been saving up for a long time, and he gave the lot to help the flood victims in the Philippines. I was very moved. We plan to visit other areas with relief aid. Please continue to pray for these desperately needy people as we try to show the love of Christ in a practical way as well as spreading the word of the gospel.

No comments: