The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day January 15 2017

We made an unusually shaky start Sunday morning. First someone 'phoned me to check the time of the service, not that unusual I suppose. It was followed a short while later by a couple stood outside the church 'phoning me to know if we were actually meeting at 11 am.
We do have a system where someone arrives early to steward but he was ill and we had not arranged a proper substitute. As a church we are not very good at getting there early anyway so when I arrived the first people in were the three newcomers.
People started arriving shortly after that and we seemed to have ourselves sorted out by 11 am. We began with a hymn and that is where we became slightly unstuck again. We still use hymn boards as well as a notice sheet and I tend to look at the boards for hymn numbers. And so I announced the first hymn from there. When I got to the page I saw we had sung it the week before but I was a bit slow to realise that it was the opening hymn from last Sunday evening. Anyway I was then aware of that all the hymns on the boards were wrong and so after we finished I removed them from the walls.
So not a great start but we got on okay after that. We were in the final verses of Galatians 4 which are not easy but I think we got somewhere. Our visitors were a young Korean lady and a local man and his girlfriend who is looking for a church with better teaching. Hopefully we haven't put them off.
Numbers were own a little bit now students have gone back. We had communion in the evening followed by a second sermon on the Sabbath question from Matthew 12, this time on works of mercy.

No comments: