The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Day Off Week 24 2020


The main thing I like to do on my day off is some reading. Today I read a big chunk of For whom the bell tolls by Ernest Hemingway. My edition is the one in the Great Writers part series I collected years back. (This is one of a number of unread novels that I feel I should have got round to by now. Earlier in the year I finally read Catcher in the Rye and am part way through Catch 22). I was prompted to read Hemingway as The New Yorker has just published a lost story of his. See here. Once into it, it is a fairly easy read though a strange one in that the dialogue purports to be translated from Spanish and he deals with bad language in an odd way (which I am happy with). I managed to get my 10,000 steps in too and one or two other things as well as watching some Netflix. We are watching a dubbed Italian crime drama.

No comments: