The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day at Hailsham June 13 2021


I had a call on Monday saying that they were looking forward to hearing me at Gordon Road, Hailsham. That took me slightly by surprise but thankfully it was Monday not Thursday. I struggled a little as our seminary student was already booked. Anyway, we then remembered that my son was due home and although he has only preached formally once before he is quite capable and so he preached on adoption from Romans 8. In the evening they piggy backed with Reuben Saywell down in Folkestone. There were some problems but I think we got there. meanwhile I had a very pleasant drive in the sunshine and enjoyed preaching on Hebrews 13:6 and on Hope, as featured recently. Numbers were down a little but it was good to see the generally more elderly congregations am and pm. I had a lovely afternoon with a couple from the church in between services in their lovely cottage. I somehow had us sing my evening hymns in the morning and vice versa but it didn't make too much difference. Lovely drive back too and home not long after 10 pm. I did preach on zoom for Gordon Road once but this was my first actual visit. immaculate building.

No comments: