The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day June 20 2021


It was very good to be back in Childs Hill last Lord's Day. Most of our newcomers are still coming and one or two others. It was nice to meet a Brazilian man looking for a church on the area and two new Iranians, supplementing the three from previous weeks. Our Afghani friend was there again. There were also 4 or 5 old friends visiting, including one of my sons and his girl friend. We were around 40 altogether. I decided to go back to Luke which we had been looking at in the evenings but had broken off from. I think that is okay to do sometimes. I looked at Luke 7:1-10 and it went well. In the evening it was zoom only and we were in Joshua again, the cities of refuge in Joshua 20. That was a more difficult passage but hopefully we got somewhere.

No comments: