The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day June 4 2021

 


Last Lord's Day, we began with communion. We also welcomed a new member, a young Nigerian man who has been living in the area a little while and who we have got to know. After communion we had our in person morning service. Several of our new Iranians were there but also visiting friends too, one of whom know my son well. Our Filipinos were back too and one or two others returning. I preached on Luke 7:18-35, a potentially difficult passage that I have long studied and feel I had hold of well. In the evening it was zoom only and we were looking at Joshua 22 and the subject of Christian unity. We also had two LCMers talking about reaching people in London today. They were encouraging us to get involved in door to door, which we have done in the past but it was good to be reminded again. Some are sceptical of it but I feel it is one of the least worst methods open to us.

No comments: