The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day October 10 2021


Last Lord's Day was a bit different in that I preached three times rather than two. In addition to my usual morning and evening preaching in the Childs Hill church I also preached for the Korean church that meets in our building in the afternoon. It was very kind of them to ask me and I was grateful for the warm welcome. I preached on Psalm 28 and someone had kindly chosen three appropriate hymns including a Fanny Crosby one that I didn't know,

A wonderful Saviour is Jesus my Lord, a wonderful Saviour to me.
He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock, where rivers of pleasure I see.

The words were up in English as well as Korean. There must have been about 70 present.
In the morning for my own people I preached on the final section of Luke 8 (Jairus's daughter and the woman with the issue of blood) and in the evening on Psalm 29, the thunderstorm psalm. We reached double figures on the evening and were a decent number in the morning though there were several missing. Our one Korean couple were there though I didn't get chance to speak to them. There was a lady from Mongolia present, which is a first for us. She was there with a man who gave me his name. I thought it meant death but he told me it means mortality. There's name to live with. We also had a visitor who normally goes to St Martin's in the Fields. She said our service was different. I don't think she had realised it could be done the way we do it.

No comments: