The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Two Days Off Week 42 2021


Sticking with this policy of taking two days off a month, I did that at the beginning of this last week. The way it worked out my wife had to be in Leamington Spa for the day so I joined her for the journey there and back and while she was in her Go Teach committee I wandered the streets of a town I have never visited before. It's a bit like Cheltenham, which was also a spa town. The museum was closed sadly and so, once it started raining, I hit the coffee shops. I did a lot of Bible reading and planning and read from a book I picked up recently on the year 1603 by Christopher Lee. Back here we watched some TV. I also took the next day off, again reading and walking but also watching an excellent docudrama from Denmark The Investigation. So whether this is a good idea or not I am not sure. When you are as lazy as I am, it is hard to assess. (Oh yeah, I forgot, I organised our evening meal for once on Tuesday night. Nothing special. I bought a pie).

No comments: