The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day April 3 2022


So a new month means we began with communion even though we had it the week before. In the main services I preached the fifth and sixth sayings of the cross - I am thirsty, it is finished. A decent number in the morning and not too bad in the evening either. Again we had someone visiting us, a former member of the congregation, and we had people around for lunch and tea. Very nice. It struck me that I had five former followers of the Koran in the congregation. My preaching must reflect that. In the evening a man turned up who only comes for money but I have adopted the policy of not taking my wallet to church these days. Wise, I guess. So the kingdom presses forward slowly but surely.

No comments: