The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Two Days (Off) in South Wales


Having spent last week in North Wales my wife decided we should spend some time this week in South Wales with the one son we didn't see last week. And so we had a lovely long day and a bit in Cardiff with Dylan, Cat and Gruff. We also got to see Eleri's sisters. The younger one lives in Cardiff and the other had come with her husband from Wiltshire to drop off their son for a five day Easter camp in Mid-Wales with his uncle. So very nice time. We left on the Tuesday shortly before lunch. In the evening I watched these Netflix documentaries on Jimmy Savile, which are well done and contain what I think is key - the suggestion that he did all the good he did hoping it would cancel out all the evil he did. Here is convincing evidence that cannot be the way our eternal destiny is decided. (The programmes inevitably deal with some murky stuff and are rightly 18 certificate). The map is to match the previous one. We only went to Cardiff but I have left Newport on as that is where I was born. Cwmbran, where I grew up, is four miles north.

No comments: