The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Mr Lear A Life of Art and Nonsense Jenny Uglow



Just before we headed off for our family holiday I was buying a book in West Hampstead when another one caught my eye. As this second one was half price, I bought it. Jenny Uglow's book on Lear came out a little while ago but I had not seen it. I first came across Lear while still in primary school and have him in my head filed next to Lewis Carroll and Hilaire Belloc. This book is accurately subtitled his art (of which I knew next to nothing) and nonsense (which I did know something about). It is a big book (over 500 pages) and nicely illustrated and presented. It is well written - clear, calm and not speculative.

No comments: