The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Akkerman Pearson



So I was off to South Wales yet again this week. My dad's still in hospital so I was glad of the opportunity to visit him in Newport. I then headed for Cardiff where my sister-in-law was kindly providing a bed for the night again. My main reason for being down was the concert in The Point, Cardiff Bay. As mentioned I had a double reason for being there. The support for Jan Akkerman was an 18 year old who is not only from Cwmbran but son to old friends from my schooldays. (His grandfather is/was a deacon in my home church). Gareth has been professional for just under a year and is really quite competent. I really enjoyed his set including (would you believe) an egregious Jackson 5 number and the very attractive Beauty of Discipline. Great title. It was nice to meet Gareth and catch up with his dad. Jan was very friendly as ever. It was nice to meet two "Akkernuts" - Leigh and Lloyd, who I know through the website, gladly helping out on the road. (There's always someone more keen than yourself).
I've not seen Jan Akkerman do a full acoustic set. He did about 8 or 9 pieces, none over long and mostly medleys. It was very enjoyable. He started with "No wonder", "CS" and Suite 1 from 'Passion' which understandably was the main source for his material. A lovely Focus medley followed (Focus 4, I think, Sylvia, Anonymus I spotted). We also had Djangology (dedicated to some gypsy kids he's got to know recently), Firenze/Virgin Mary and an acoustic Hocus Pocus. For an encore we had Dowland's Britannia (loved that) with Gateway to Europe and Tranquiliser. Great night - and not too late to get the bus back across Cardiff.

No comments: