The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Jan Akkerman Gareth Pearson

I noticed a while back that Jan Akkerman was planning a very brief solo tour this week appearing with a young man from my home town (Cwmbran) called Gareth Pearson. I've managed to arrange to get down to Cardiff to see them Thursday and as the date has come nearer my curiosity has grown and I've started to dig regarding a hunch I had from the beginning - that this 18 year old might be the son of Graham Pearson a fellow I knew chiefly because we were in the same class at school. Graham was into Leo Kottke and Rev Gary Davis and all sorts of other people we'd never heard of and played chiefly rag time guitar but was rather shy about it although I saw him perform at a social in our church once (I think Gareth has too according to my sister). Anyway Graham's just contacted me following a reference I made to all this in the Jan Akkerman Guestbook. There are good things to be said about the internet. Here's a snatch of Gareth in his bedroom:

No comments: