The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Met Tab School of Theology


I got myself down to the Metropolitan Tabernacle this week for some of the Summer School of Theology as I usually do. I managed less than half the sessions (7 out of 18 or 20) this time round and heard most of the main speakers only once so I can’t give a proper assessment of the conference. It did strike me, however, that the speaking roster was rather top heavy age wise. I also thought the theme of the working church has been well explored over the years. As with the EMA which always falls the week before, there are things I like (Reformed, Baptist, straight, good ethnic and cultural spread) and don’t like (the sometimes negative tone, singing the same song at the end and they don’t stock my books either!). Like all conferences there is development (but not too much). Perhaps Dr Masters is more relaxed and more willing to indulge in a little humour than in past.
Anyway, this year I caught Robert Reymond twice. Dr Masters was effusive in his introduction and clearly Dr Reymond is a gifted and able theologian. His manner of reading his papers more or less word for word and his almost pedantic repetition of certain phrases does not help the listener, however. His first two papers were on Christ’s example, his final paper on Paul’s example. He made 10 useful points there.
American James Grier, a Tab favourite, is always worth hearing and his closing address on the new heavens and the new earth was fine. I also heard Dr Masters himself on Goals for Office Bearers and Members but this seemed very similar to other messages in the past. Sometimes it is difficult to know the targets for his attacks too. Who are the Reformed men who are going to liberal colleges for degrees?
I missed Roland Burrows and Vernon Higham. Jack Seaton’s opener on God’s Sovereignty and the Church’s Work and Chris Buss on Nehemiah with his nice old illustrations were okay. I really enjoyed Nigel Lacey’s second message, however, on Hindrances to the Concept of the Working Church. Despite the negative title this was a really winsome and challenging message. He spoke firstly of the need for thorough Bible teaching, with unction, realism (no attempts to lump over past glories), leadership, gospel preaching, care over other commitments and certainty about calling. Then about how members can be discouraged, sinful, lacking in faith and vision, tacitly believing that the work is to be done by the few; divisive and pre-occupied with other things.

14 comments:

Alan said...

I think the EMW stock your books, Gary, at Aber.

I have not noticed them in France either, but I don't think it's a conspiracy. They're probably quite hard to translate.

Evangelical books said...

Thanks for your analysis, regarding the SOT. I am a member of the Met Tab, and can identify with what you are saying. Hope it was still a satisfying time for you.

Jonathan Hunt said...

I too identify with what you are saying, and I think we discussed the reasons for the age top-heaviness. I would be interested to know where the 'working church' is considered in conferences in other places - I have never noticed it before.

Oh, did I mention that WE MET? Yes, readers, we did. This blogging pastor was skulking in the bookshop moaning 'that book's not by me, neither's that one'...

he he he

Jonathan Hunt said...

And as for finishing with the same hymn each year, its like having a theme tune, innit!

And I really like that hymn, and I only get to sing it in that elongated version once a year. Ah, I think I will blog it...

Guy Davies said...

On the "They don't stock my books" front, you are in good company. They don't stock some of Lloyd-Jones' titles there either do they?

Gary Brady said...

The books thing was a passing comment really. I understand Met Tab policy (I think) and wasn't really complaining. (Some Lloyd-Jones are there and Iain Murray too!). It was good to meet face to face JH. On the working church, I don't think you do hear it anywhere else. I just feel you hear it overmuch at the SofT. Thanks for sticking up for the hymn - it's the full version of Hart's hymn best known for its final 2 verses beginning 'How good is the God'. I personally agree with keeping it to two verses.

Evangelical books said...

I am not fond of the term "working church".

Is there a church that does not work? Or do we mean the type that people attend on Sundays to sit at the feet of some great preacher?

Moreover, what work MUST the church be involved in? And if not, will they be blessed?

Gary Brady said...

I'm sure the reaction is against the idea that God or the minister or only certain people do it all. One snag with the view that everyone must do church work can mean no other sort of work is done (eg social or political) but probably there are some people who need reminding of the imporatance of hard work.

Jonathan Hunt said...

This is an interesting ole thread...

1. The Tab bookshop 'policy' (I think) is approximately i) Is the book sound ii) More than this, is it positively USEFUL, iii) is it the best in its field iv) Is the author viewed as sound v) does it offer value for money.

Of course these are very subjective questions and will depend upon the views of the reviewer. Nonetheless the bookshop is a success in terms of providing books at reasonable prices, paying a ground rent and paying its staff.

As far as I know, the reason a book sometimes doesn't make it is often that it has not been 'noticed'. Because it is not a 'commercial' venture it often takes months or even YEARS before some titles get in there (unless you are Robert Reymond of course!).

I increasingly find myself turning elsewhere for some books - this is not because they fall foul of ANY of the 'criteria' (which I have approximated) but I think they are under the radar.

Example: 'Pierced for our transgressions'. I believe it will be there, one day. But when? Can we afford to wait to save the two quid off the cover price? ;-)

On the MLJ front, the issues are doctrinal. MLJ and PM were good friends.

*Disclaimer* I don't say I agree with everything I have just laid out!

2. The Hart hymn: I like the elongated version because it gives a salvific background to the claim 'How good is the God we adore' ... 'THIS God is the God we adore'. This God of Calvary!

3. The Working Church: It was felt by PM that the subject had not been addressed for several years. I suppose we would agree that to some extent it is addressed (at SoT) every year. Now, for a serious question, WHAT would YOU like to see addressed? WHat kind of speakers? This is a serious question because I amd going to make a few comments, and I will add in any comments you'd like to make. NO harm in making some suggestions. You can always email me jdhunt@hotmail.co.uk if you want.

4. What is the 'Working CHurch', asks Jenson. Fine question. I fear we too often answer in the negative i.e. 'THAT church is not working' etc. It was encouraging that certain comments were made at SoT which moved away from the 'If you want to be a working church you MUST be the same as the Tab'. Difference and divergence in ministries was acknowledged. You'd have to take in the whole school to hear all the comments. Further, Pastor Buss's comments before the Wednesday night messages were worth hearing even though not recorded.

There is a deeper question which MANY try to answer these days without using the expression 'working church'. My friend Pastor Phillip Way puts it like this:

GOING to church versus BEING the Church.

JH

Gary Brady said...

Thanks for all that JH - interesting and useful.

Evangelical books said...

Interesting thoughts, JH. By the way, I never asked what is the Working Church. I think I have heard too much about it.

Thanks again, Gary, for your review of SOT. I will get the CDs when they are made. I will not burden your blog with any more comments. See you sometime. I may meet you at meetings organised by the TBS, SGU, or Orange Street.

Gary Brady said...

Good to interact a little EB. I enjoyed looking at your blogs. Don't think ill of me but our paths are unlikely to cross at the three venues you mention. I confess I'm a hymn singing, NIV using 21st Century guy - yet still pretty conservative I hasten to add. Don't write me off.:-)

Evangelical books said...

Gary, I have not written you off! You have been bought with a price, who am I to write you off?

My wife and I are members of the MT but I try to have friends outside the MT. In fact, I seem to be finding more friends outside the MT these days!

By the way, my name is Jenson and I am a Singaporean Chinese who married an English lady. Please don't write me off! My email is jensons_blog (at) yahoo.co.uk.

Gary Brady said...

Thank you Jenson. Your warmth and kindness are appreciated. Some of us feel we fall between stools (eg I'm not a Metabolist or PC) adn it can be difficult! Every blessing.