The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Bio 7i David Brainerd


Observations and lessons
In the final part of this biogrpahy I simply want to make some observations and draw some lessons arising out of what we have learned about Brainerd.
1. Extraordinary. I think we have to begin by saying that by any measure this was an extraordinary life. Brainerd is one of the great heroes of the faith yet even among these he stands out for his incredible zeal and prayerfulness. It is not simply that he is from another age. Even among his contemporaries it is clear that there was some rare about Brainerd. It is unusual to have such a full record of a man's prayer life. It reveals to us a man who was besotted with god who sought practically every day of his life only one thing – to glorify God.
2. The cross of Christ central in his preaching. Thornbury makes this point. He quotes this passage by Brainerd on his preaching. It begins 'And I have oftentimes remarked with admiration, that whatever subject I have been treating upon, after having spent time sufficient to explain and illustrate the truths contained therein, I have been naturally and easily led to CHRIST as the substance of every subject.'
3. Truth is more effective when backed up by a life without moral blemish. This was so in Brainerd in eminent degree.
4. Prayer and fasting. One cannot help but be struck by the large place prayer had to play in Brainerd's life. It is a rebuke to our prayerlessness and our self-reliance. He often spent days in fasting and prayer. This is part of the secret of his greatness. He believed (05/04/44) that 'One hour of sweet retirement where God is, is better than the whole world.' Do you?
5. His zeal and devotion to the glory of God. This again stands out. Brainerd is an eminent example of truly outstanding zeal for God's glory. He wrote (18/07/45) 'Longed to spend the little inch of time I have in the world more for God.' Is that you longing to?
6. His ability to overcome depression and adversity. Like every man Brainerd had his faults and failures. A more inwardly volatile man it would be hard to imagine. Nevertheless so set on God;s glory was he that every set back served only to strengthen him in his service to God. Here is a typical passage and perhaps we can end with this as typical of his approach (22/11/44)


Came on my way from Rockciticus to Delaware river. Was very much disordered with a cold and pain in my head. About six at night I lost my way in the wilderness, and wandered over rocks and mountains, down hideous steeps, through swamps, and most dreadful and dangerous places; and the night being dark, so that few stars could be seen, I was greatly exposed. I was much pinched with cold, and distressed with an extreme pain in my head, attended with sickness at my stomach; so that every step I took was distressing to me. I had little hope for several hours together, but that I must lie out in the woods all night, in this distressed case. But about nine o’clock I found a house, through the abundant goodness of God, and was kindly entertained. Thus I have frequently been exposed, and sometimes lain out the whole night; but God has hitherto preserved me; and blessed be his name. Such fatigues and hardships as these serve to wean me more from the earth; and, I trust, will make heaven the sweeter.

No comments: