The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Cruise


Okay, I confess. I've been away on a cruise. My father has sold the family house to move into sheltered accommodation and he wanted to take my sister and our families away for a week long Mediterranean Cruise. I protested, of course, but gave in. It's a little like Butlins on sea I suppose but is flexible enough for you to make of it what you will and we did. We went with Island Cruises (see here) on their ship MV Island Star, which has 753 cabins and a capacity of 1,875 passengers with a further 573 crew. She weighs 46,811 tons, is 208 metres long and has a cruising speed of 18 knots. Our Captain was John Brocklehhurst. We were on the Mediterranean Essence cruise and the map above reveals our itinerary. Being rather untravelled it was all pretty new to us. I'm afraid I'm going to be boring you with it for the few days or so.

3 comments:

Alan said...

So relieved ! I was wondering what would take a minister like you away from his church at Easter !

Gary Brady said...

I was back for 'Easter Sunday' don't worry. We don't have a Good Friday thing as every one who can gets out. Hey, i saw these bread rings with a boiled egg embedded in them (Cavallio?). Is that just a Corsican thing?

Alan said...

I would think so. I haven't seen them in Bordeaux, anyway...