The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Blog of the Week 7


Richard Bernard Puritan

A Puritan lived name of Bernard
A preacher he was, very learned.
He also wrote much
On pi'ty and such
But now by most people he's spurn-ed.

This blog seeks to present material on the lesser known Puritan Richard Bernard. I began it in 2007. I can't remember the circumstances. Certainly Bernard's book on conscience was the first that made me aware of him.  It can be found here. There are just over 80 posts there, almost all from the early years when I began.  There have been over 50,000 hits. Again, I probably need to give it a little more attention than I do. 
Most popular post on the blog (over 4000 hits) is one on the Puritans. You can find it here. There a few links and things of general interest regarding the Puritans. Most of the links are still working but some are broken It's hard to keep up.

No comments: