The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day April 5 2020


We followed the a similar pattern to previous weeks. At 10 am several of us gathered on Zoom to sing hymns. That went well for us but I'm not sure how it is if you are on your own. Then around 11 we tuned into the audio service available on our website. As we would normally be sitting down to communion on this Sunday I decided to preach from 1 Corinthians 11:26. It is one of the hundred texts that I have spoken of often enough here. I'm not sure when else I might have preached that sermon. In the evening we zoomed again and I preached on another psalm, Psalm 23. I think I found it easier this time (technically speaking). The sermons can be found here and here.
Last week we found time to hear my son in Aber twice as well as all that but this week we were tireder and somehow and his morning sermon was recorded not live as previously.
We are also having Junior Church on Saturday mornings and I have started doing a verse of the day on our whatsapp group. I also had a a Zoom officers meeting (and a fraternal) this week so we are doing what we can. Keeping busy then. It was good to have one or two around today that we have not had so much but still lots missing.

No comments: